Guys, I’ve chucked my designer. He was just taking too long and making excuses, missing deadlines… So that didn’t work. This is a phenomemon I like to call “I ask for help, and end up doing it myself”. Happens all the time.
And I’m not going to look for a new designer any time soon. It’s exhausting starting from scratch trying to teach somebody what works and doesn’t work and why. You might get some cute, delightful covers out of it, but they don’t match your book. One of his suggestions was a cartoonish woman getting abducted by a flying saucer. Looked good! But no one gets abducted in The Security Guy. So you’re stuck with me for now.
This is what I’ve got so far. I did this myself! It’s not perfect but I’m pretty proud of it.
But I’m stuck on putting the titles on! Turns out ‘Security’ is kind of a long word. So I’ll be hacking away at that for a while I think…
This is frustrating because I don’t want to spend time on this stuff. Emailing back and forth with the designer has taken me half-way into my writing time, and yesterday I took a Treat Day so I didn’t do any writing. I’m starting to feel like I’m falling behind. Oh well, the good thing about not going to work anymore is that it’s not like I’ve got anything else going on. I only need one or two good days to catch up.